There are any number of definitions offered to help pinpoint what holistic medicine really is, and in most cases, they have a few elements in common. You can get more information regarding holistic medicine via various other online sources.
These include, but are not limited to, the following:
• An approach to healing that takes into consideration the patient’s mind, spirit, and body
• Integration of both traditional medical treatments and alternative therapies
• Focuses both on prevention and treatment of disease
• May involve a range of diagnostic and treatment strategies
• High quality holistic care is a partnership between patient and provider with each responsible for active participation in the process
• Takes into account physical, social, emotional, spiritual, nutritional, environmental, and lifestyle issues and influences
As you can see, holistic medicine emphasizes an all-encompassing approach to health care and illness prevention. The full range of holistic approaches may emphasize a variety of techniques and philosophies that cover the entire spectrum from very traditional to extremely new age.
Holistic medicine may not be for everyone, but it is an approach to health and treatment that is rapidly becoming more mainstream in the medical world. It is certainly worth learning more about it before deciding whether to embrace it.