The health benefits of consuming extra virgin olive oil are many. It is rich in vitamin E as well as many other nutrients. It has been around for thousands of years and right throughout those times, it's been praised for its healing and health properties.
The Cretes were exporting olive oil as far back as 2575 B.C. Also, Greek mythology, as well as the Bible, refers to it. Olive oil is around 75% monounsaturated fat; that's the good kind of fat that is beneficial to the body.
The following list is to show you some of the health benefits:
- Rich source of monounsaturated fats, which may reduce risks of heart and cardiovascular disease
- It contains a wide variety of valuable antioxidants, helping to keep free radicals in check, which are not found in many other oils
- They may help lower bad cholesterol and maintain the beneficial HDL cholesterol
- Lowering effect on blood pressure
- Beneficial during pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding
- Helps to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes – it also appears to lower blood sugar or glucose levels in diabetics
- Olive oil-rich diets may lead to greater and long-lasting weight loss than a low-fat diet
- Beneficial for the stomach, pancreas, and intestines
- Helps with anti-aging, osteoporosis, arthritis and skin damage
- May help bolster the immune system
- Contains a protective element which may assist against certain malignant tumors in the breast, prostate, endometrium and digestive tract
- It's also show to help in the natural treatment of eczema and psoriasis